A sunroom offers a lovely addition to a home, particularly one with scenic surroundings. This type of structure, also known as a sun-parlor, -porch or -lounge is mainly added to one side of a dwelling. Homeowners with a sunroom have the option to enjoy outdoor views and get the sense of being outside while being sheltered from too much sunlight and inclement weather. You can enjoy the warmth and brilliant light of the sun without being immersed in harmful rays.
Many different styles and materials are available for the construction of your sunroom. If you like a rustic look, you may choose a brick design. For a warmer, more comforting appeal, wood may be better for your home. This style will complement a woodsy outdoors area. There is also the choice of building the whole sunroom out of glass. A glass roof can be constructed even if the rest of the structure is made of a different material.
Since these areas are generally utilized when the sun is shining, the design needs to be one that allows as much natural light as possible to enter the room. It is common to see oversized glass windows in a sunroom. There isn’t much need for added artificial lighting to be installed. If desired, lamps, wall-mounted fixtures or pendant lights will provide an intimate setting.
Design Options for a Sunroom
The options are endless. Some people prefer a rustic themed sunroom, many enjoy a beach-themed design or an all-white area, others want a mountain style sunroom. How do you envision the look of your sunroom space? Here is a list of popular ideas to help you create the best design for your sunroom:
- A ceiling constructed of wood panels can provide a welcoming feel. Also include a glass roof and skylights for enhanced sky views.
- Vaulted or slanted ceilings are stylish options for re-directing brightness from the sun.
- Glass windows that span from the floor to the ceiling will give the illusion of a wider space.
- Install decorative blinds for your large windows. This will give you some temperature control on hot days and anytime you want to cut down on brightness. Colorful curtains will add a stylish adornment.
- Use this friendly space as an additional dining area for family meals or entertaining.
- For cold weather days, a fireplace will make a nice addition to your sunroom.
- Include an abundance of plants and flowers to bring life to the surroundings and enhance the natural look.
- Make use of the space as a place to relax, practice meditation or yoga. It can also provide a bright entertainment area.
- An ornate table and chairs placed close to the windows will provide a prime location to take in scenic views.
- Lounge in comfortable wicker furniture; add bold colors and textures.
- Add a top floor to your sunroom by including a terrace.
A sunroom can complement your existing home and be used all year round as a casual living area. There are countless designs that can be achieved. Create a room that will provide the comfortable, inviting atmosphere you desire.